Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the permanent position of Programmer Analyst in the Technology & Business Solutions (TBS) Business Unit.
Principal Responsibilities include:
- Develops, tests and implements computer programs.
- Designs and develops database systems in Visual Basic and SQL.
- Interprets written business requirements and technical specification documents.
- Evaluates user requests for new or modified computer programs to determine feasibility, time required and system compatibility.
- Maintains and supports vendor-based applications as appropriate.
- Prepares both unit and system integration test data to validate programs.
- Participates in Information Technology projects when required.
- Ensures that all problems and requests assigned are resolved in a timely manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and necessary for the development of the Insurance Corporation of Barbados Limited.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems, software engineering or any other related discipline.
- Formal training in programming techniques.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in a programming or systems analysis environment.
- Knowledge of Visual Basic and SQL.
- Excellent understanding of coding methods and best practices.
- Prior experience interviewing end-users for insight on functionality, interface, problems, and/or usability issues.
- Hands-on experience developing test cases and test plans.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Able to communicate effectively with non-technical staff and with members of interdisciplinary teams.
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must have sound problem-solving and planning skills and the ability to deal with customers in a professional yet pleasant manner.
- Results oriented with the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work autonomously.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Deadline Date for Applications
Friday, January 28, 2022